Saturday 12 January 2008

Moonshine

The full moon at Xmas time set me to thinking about it and realising that I did not know what the 'thirteenth' moon was. How ignorant after all those years! Of course the moon cycle is just over 29 days (as you all knew) so that every so often there are 2 full moons in one month and a 13th in the year (not last year or this year I think). So the one above is only the 12th, how boring. I would like someone to work it out but I reckon one would have to be 80 years old or so to see 1000 full moons ... now that will be a celebration!





Jamie and Helen's pictures of their house prompted me to put up a curtain rail too ... for Mum. I found the brass rail and brackets, much discoloured, in the shed (where I store such objects waiting for a purpose) and spent an afternoon (thank you Sorley for letting me out) cleaning it and putting it up. The curtains came from the gudrunsjoden catalogue. Kids ... that's grandma's daemon sitting in the corner on the box waiting for a call from its cousins who are due back in about a month.

Now I am thinking of taking the books out of the bedroom (filling the wall behind me when I took this photo). There is room for some upstairs, but some will have to go. I'm still just thinking ...

Sorry, this next picture a bit out of focus ... we made a quick visit to Snarraness Here is Mum with Sorley ... not insouciant this time ... on the road down. It is a tarmacked road now and the house has been totally rebuilt.
Another out of focus picture of Sorley standing in front of his house that will be!
Idly looking through the bookshelves and came across this wee booklet privately printed by May Stevenson ... she was Graeme (Mum's cousin) Hinton's mother's sister (I think) and she lived in a terrace opposite the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh. I'm sure we visited her with Beth or Gudrun, or both? She has a great view of the old town skyline. This was rhyme I used to sing (first time I had seen it written down) and I remember my uncle singing it to me. May wrote out a number of these nonsense rhymes and illustrated them.

No picture of a nuclear power stations to hand, but I find myself in an anomalous position regarding them. The Labour government has just decided that the UK will build several of these to meet an energy gap (circa 2016-20) and, they say, help with reducing carbon release (actually very little). But in Scotland the SNP government opposes them, has powers of planning consent and will withold that ... so no nuclear power in Scotland. I have always supported Labour (hoped that Gordon Brown would prove to be an antidote to Blair, but no alas) but am anti nuclear power and not a fan of Alex Salmond (SNP Scottish First Minister) ... hhmmm. I am finding myself wanting to be shot of Westminster politics but where does that leave me? Maybe, if Mr Salmond keeps a steady head, I may find myself voting SNP at the next election ... for Independence!

5 comments:

Gudrun Johnston said...

Cool curtains..does Mum approve?

Beth Armstrong said...

Funny you should have a blog with a title such as Moonshine. Beth and I headed to the Wairarapa this weekend. We were heading over on the usual highways and byways as I spied (somewhat late so we had to double back) Moonshine Road. A reliable English chap (rare I know) told me is was an interesting drive. So it proved to be as we wound our way through the hills.
Great shot of that Moon Laughton. I feel it is a candidate for my screensaver at work. You have also susceeded in expanding our vocab with insouciant and anomalous!!

Beth Armstrong said...

Lovely to see the brass curtain rail up again - is this the same rail that we had in our old bathroom in Dundas Street and used for our towels to hang on? I also remember you singing that rhyme to us when we were kids and to Molly in fact!

James McLauchlan Johnston said...

I agree with Nick, adding to our vocab in this post was most impressive! Were you reading that article in the Guardian Weekly last week about language?

Great pictures, and an interesting blurring at the edges of them! You should just claim you did it on purpose!

Sorley said...

I remember going to visit May in that flat, just the once I think. Curtains do look good.