Thursday 4 September 2008

Power Cut

I think I am in danger of forgetting just what the weather can be like here. We have apparently had more sunshine in August than anywhere else in the UK! It was a lovely month and coupled with a record-breaking dry May, all in all it has been a very special summer. The downside is that I am way behind in my writing.

It all seemed to end on the 2nd September with heavy, black clouds, thunder and lightning and solid rods of rain bouncing a couple of feet off the road. I went to Lerwick just when it started and returned at teatime to find the power off ... lightning on a pole somewhere.

As it got dark I filled Lizzie Goudie's (an old relative now long gone) oil lamp and lit the stove,then lit another wee lamp in the kitchen. It was all very cosy. You'll notice a glass of whisky by Lizzie's lamp (and the wind-up radio)!

It didn't last long, the power came back, but the glow of the lamps and the smell of the paraffin brought back memories of a crofthouse somewhere when I was a visiting child.
Oh, and the weather ... has returned to stillness and sunshine, but cool, with a touch of autumn.

4 comments:

James McLauchlan Johnston said...

That looks damn cozy! Pour a glass for me I'll be there soon!

Beth Armstrong said...

I'm raising my glass of wine to you as I sit here typing this wee message...as Jamie said, it's looks so warm and inviting! How long did the power cut last? We have lots of signs that Spring is on its way...birds waking us at 6am and it's still light at 6pm now...bring it on!

Gudrun Johnston said...

Mmmm cool Autumn weather...send us some please!

Sorley said...

Well it is certainly cool here - supposed to be 6 degrees tonight and it feels cold. Would like a cosy peat stove now!