Thursday 15 January 2009

Earthquake!

Sorry, no pictures, and I have to admit I did not know there had been an earthquake until Gudrun told me! When she phoned this afternoon and said that she had heard on the news that there had been an earthquake of circa 3 on the Richter scale in Shetland, that it had occured at 5.30am in the morning and some Shetlanders had described it as a train hitting the house, I suddenly remembered - I did wake up with a start to a kind of bang/concusion just at that time. I remember I thought that there must be a gale blowing and that a flaan of wind must have hit the house (when there is a strong gale the wind seems to smack solidly against the walls and roof of the house) or that a door of the glass porch must have blown open. I lay a wake for a few minutes listening but the wind was not strong enough to create what I had heard. I almost got up but all was quiet and I fell asleep again!

If that was a wee earthquake, I don't fancy a muckle ain.

3 comments:

Beth Armstrong said...

Ha. You need a scale 5 shake over here to make the press. 3 is what happens when this place just rolls over in her sleep. I will try to tee one up for your next visit. I can't recall if the richter scale is like hurricanes where the next leve e.g. 3-4 is 100 time stronger than the previous, or just 10 times. It is those S and P waves that get you. Shake what your Mama gave ya (as Molly would say).

David Anthony Durham said...

How bizarre...

Sorley said...

Well it was even on the Yahoo home page!