Monday 11 January 2010

The Icing on the Flan

Wonderfully still, sunny - with just a little snow - and freezing weather in Shetland since Xmas while, it seems, the mainland (England predominantly according to the BBC) come to a stop under deep snow. Yesterday, so beautiful in the morning that I took a walk to Breiwick and fell three times before I had gone 100 yards. The ground is like concrete with an icing finish! However, it was very enjoyable, though very cold out of the sun. Although there is very little snow around Bousta there's a good coating over Ronas Hilland inland (yes, I know that term is a bit of a joke in Shetland).
All the lochs are frozen over ... weird to see the sheep nonchantly taking shortcuts across the surface. I just hope that those who have settled temporarily on the little loch islands get off before the thaw! This is Burga Water on the way to Walls. Even the sheltered voes are frozen.
After my walk I made a smoked-salmon flan (a la Gudrun) using my new dish from Joy, the Durham's potter-neighbour. Must get another one next time.


The flan was good and is not finished yet!



4 comments:

Gudrun Johnston said...

Looks good....I just made one too and also have left overs because David's not here!

Beth Armstrong said...

Looking forward to you chef'n over here if those are the results. We are big flans of yours you know.

James McLauchlan Johnston said...

Oh my god was that a Nick joke? Even he's ashamed of it, he hasn't signed his name as usual.

Laughton and Patricia Johnston said...

What a lot of flannel!