Monday 20 September 2010

Garden walls and gable walls

Before the severe gales came and blew away the leaves the north west corner of the garden looked like this. I decided that the wall was too low, needed repair and raising to the height of the other part of the north wall by the terrace.I have done that ... after it falling down once when I thought I was nearly finished. It looks like this now as I have removed a boring bush and planted some lupins and foxgloves that will come up next year.
The outside side of the wall with part of it rebuilt and heightened.
This is the wall now completely rebuilt. Note the vertical stone at the foot, just left of centre. Behind it is a very large stone (I could not move) which resembles a steep sided back. The first time I thought I had bridged it successfully. The second time (!) I put in the vertical stone to hold the bridge.
In the longterm, Sorley's house will provide shelter and we may reduce the height of the wall again. But in the meantime I can grow more things in the garden.
Archie has now started work on the gable window. First off, David (who works for him) has taken out all the old pointing and repointed deeply with plenty of cement. Towards the left (not pointed) is where the window will be. The plan is that all the new pointing will hold the wall together when he takes out the hole for the window, long enough for him to install a concrete lintel. Having built walls with the 'pigs' heads' stones of Bousta, I know the problem!
Archie is now making the window (a sash window same as the kitchen and bedroom windows, which he made) and I have a two week gap to nip down south for family and culture. I'm hoping the weather will be better than last week when the boat took 12 hours (into the northerly gale) from Orkney!

4 comments:

Gudrun Johnston said...

Beautiful wall! I'm not sure that I can ever risk getting on that boat now though!

Beth Armstrong said...

What are you going to do when you run out of walls to rebuild or will that ever happen especially as Sorley will need some help when he builds his house? Not sure if we'll be able to provide any wall rebuilding over here when you come in January - but can supply you with plenty of cold beer, wine, bbqs, ice-creams and free entertainment from the girls! x

Laughton and Patricia Johnston said...

Gudrun: it's only like that once or twice a year! Beth: maybe I'll just spend more time in NZ getting fat in my old age!

Sorley said...

I am sure we can find plenty of projects for as long as you want them!