Wednesday 24 June 2009

It's the wall again

The weather continues fine, sun setting at 10.30 pm. Much delight yesterday, leaving Bousta a little overcast, going through low cloud and rain to Lerwick and back again, to enter Sandness and the sun is shining!

Now finished the north wall of the new garden, put down a lot more topsoil (from a great heap I had collected during the excavations for the extension) and sown grass. I have now laid the N-S base and started building ... two thirds to go. Halfway along I am dropping down a level and making a wee sheltered bit facing south (see picture) where one day I will sit ... might have to lie down ... under the shade of an aspen tree (from the local native supply, now growing in a pot and which I will plant next spring).

When this bit of wall is done I'll go back to finish the north wall in front of Sorley's patch.


The view from the terrace is getting positively suburban. I plan to grow lots of foxgloves and lupins against the wall facing south (like Mum had at Forneth) ... again, next year.

It seems the good weather is being reflected in the sea. Lots of terns nesting for the first time in years. Several on the beach and Skerry and one has chosen the track by the gate into Little Bousta. It is luckily not on the wheel track but right in the middle, which means that, to its great annoyance, it has to get up each time a car (and Cass) passes over. So it takes it out on the car and the driver when the latter has to get out to open and close the gate. I didn't know this at first and when working on the wall one day saw Cass waving some envelopes at me from the Little Bousta gate. I waved back but she ignored me. She was trying to fend off the tern!

3 comments:

James McLauchlan Johnston said...

Are Terns the ones that swoop at your head?

Gudrun Johnston said...

Looking great dad! Almost big enough area for some football playing...but I suppose your lupins and foxgloves won't like that much!

Sorley said...

Plenty of room out there for football as long as you clean your boots afterwards!