Monday 15 June 2009

Walls and walking

This was where I was at 29th May. The point where I start the dividing line between Muckle Bousta and Sorley's (eventual) house. A lot of debris and topsoil to shift, but not the monster stones which were laid on the old east-west boundary. By the time Sorley arrived I had just started the north-south boundary.

Sorley dug out the rest of the boundary foundation for me - which I will turn to after finishing the north-south wall between us, maybe later this summer. He also rolled some of the very large stones out of the heap for me (for the base). The ground is higher on the Muckle Bousta side.
I forgot - when Sorley asked me if I wanted to go walking anywhere - that I wanted to have a look at one of the Viking Energy (wind farm of circa 150 giant turbines) sites, which has just gone to the Scottish Office. The decision on Planning should come later this year. So I went to the easiest site at the top of Weisdale (the dale where Bonhoga is).


A lovely day again, met a birdwatcher and we listened to the whimbrel and skylarks. The hill is peat-covered, but on the summit there is much (deep - six feet plus) erosion ... from the weather and grazing.
Tomorrow is the last sunny day for the present. We've had a great spell ... I have been neglecting the book! So out on the wall again.


4 comments:

Sorley said...

Well it's not hay making - but you've got to enjoy the sunshine while it lasts!

Beth Armstrong said...

Very impressive work Dad - just make sure you leave those larger boulders for younger muscles - great to keep up with the progress. You must have no problem falling asleep at the moment!

James McLauchlan Johnston said...

It's not every blog that talks about building walls! Good work, leave some labouring for my visit in August.

Laughton and Patricia Johnston said...

Falling alseep at 5pm ... no problem (sleeping at night too). I'll leave some work for you Jamie.